If you look at the universe and study the universe, what you find is that there is no evidence that we need anything other than the laws of physics and the other laws of science to explain everything we see. There's absolutely no evidence that we need any supernatural hand of god. -- Lawrence Krauss, World-Renowned Physicist
There is probably no other notion in any field of science that has been as extensively tested and as thoroughly corroborated as the evolutionary origin of living organisms. -- Encyclopedia Britannica
FAITH. No one word personifies the absolute worst and most wicked properties of religion better than that. Faith is mind-rot. It’s the poison that destroys critical thinking, undermines evidence, and leads people into lives dedicated to absurdity. It’s a parasite regarded as a virtue. -- PZ Myers
Religion is the antithesis of science, an anesthetic for the mind that disables critical thought and encourages the acceptance of inanity as fact, and wishful thinking as evidence. -- PZ Myers

Monday, December 6, 2010

I left the following comment on a Jeebus blog:

When you write "atheist scientist" you are talking about virtually every scientist in the world. There are of course some religious scientists, but they are rare. Many biologists don't know any theist scientists. The National Academy of Sciences is 93% atheist. Most of the other 7% most certainly don't believe any Catholic or Christian nonsense.

Religious people deny they believe in a god of the gaps, but to justify their magic fairy they're always trying to stick it into some gap, and always science chases that fairy away. There's no more hiding places for Jeebus. God fairies are no longer necessary in the 21st century. Gods that never had any magic tricks to perform are gods that don't exist.

Even without the tremendous scientific progress of the last 150 years, even without future scientific progress which will never end, the idea that there's some magical god fairy hiding somewhere in the universe waving its magic wand is just plain stupid and childish.

You didn't write this stuff but I assume you agree with it.

"I do not fear the theory [of Darwin] […] It does not seem to me to follow that creation is denied because the Creator, millions of years ago, gave laws to matter. He first created matter and then he created laws for it –laws which should construct it into its present wonderful beauty, and accurate adjustment and harmony of parts gradually."

That's nonsense. Natural processes don't need magical inventors or magical creators. This is an example of a Christian desperately trying to justify his childish belief in a god fairy. He provides no evidence. It's nothing but wild guessing and wishful thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment